Health and Safety Consultant, Healthcare
Reporting to the Director of Prevention, Retention and Engagement, the Health and Safety Consultant, Healthcare, provides health and safety training, support, guidance, and advice to all workplace parties within the Health and Community Care sector in the GTA or Hamilton/Niagara area in the Province of Ontario. This position develops proactive initiatives and strategies to foster health and safety as a core business value among clients.
In this position, you will be responsible for ongoing client engagement, building client relationships to help them improve health and safety outcomes, and to position PSHSA as a leader in delivery of client focused solutions.
- Initiates, fosters, maintains and develops relationships with sector (worker, employer, union, key stake holders and professional associations).
- Regularly identifies partnership opportunities and makes appropriate referrals.
- Develops and maintains collaborative working partnerships with colleagues, external clients and key stakeholders such as System Partners to advance PSHSA’s objectives. (i.e., MLITSD, WSIB).
- Identify and develop consulting relationship with sector association and networking groups to advance knowledge/awareness of OHS/PSHSA and promotes the benefits of implementing health and safety initiatives; provides best practice examples, which have incorporated health and safety programs into their existing processes.
- Proactively and reactively analyzes customer needs and concerns by researching the client’s history through a variety of mediums (i.e., Websites, firm profiles, applicable legislation and other informal sources) and applies health and safety expertise to improve their current program(s).
- Develop and coordinate training schedule to meet needs.
- Promotes the benefits of implementing health and safety initiatives; utilizes internal consulting processes to support and direct clients with the development of customized health and safety programs to be incorporated into their existing organizational structure.
- Prepares and presents effective proposals as part of the sales/consulting presentation to sector clients to illustrate the benefits of using PSHSA products and services to improve workplace health and safety.
- Provides on-site and regional health and safety training and facilitation services to clients to increase workplace health and safety awareness.
- Seeks opportunities for revenue generation through selling/up-selling
Operational / Subject Matter Expertise
- Provides health and safety consulting services and or liaises with other PSHSA consultants to provide consulting services to assist clients with the reduction of workplace hazards and the elimination of workplace injuries and illnesses.
- Identify and make arrangements for local course facilitators to increase reach & reduce travel and offer training in general health and safety awareness.
- Assist in the development, review, and implementation of PSHSA products, programs and services.
- Collaborates internally with Client Acquisition, Emerging Markets, Marketing and Multi-channel Delivery to identify, develop and deliver strategies to meet market needs.
- Translates and applies Occupational Health and Safety Act legislation into practical and required application within the environment.
- Proactively responds to client information requests promptly and accurately, serving as a resource for information and services; maintains records of all activities.
- Collaboratively researches and stays abreast of common health and safety trends within the Healthcare sector.
Qualification Requirements and Traits:
- A university degree or equivalent education and experience.
- Post-secondary completion of a health and safety program.
- Designation(s) in health and safety or related disciplines (e.g., CRSP, CHSC, CCPE ROH, CDMP) preferred
- Minimum 5 years of related job
- Knowledgeable in health and safety legislation, auditing, health and safety management systems.
- Significant experience in consulting, managing a client base, building relationships and achieving targets and objectives.
- An excellent facilitator, knowledgeable about adult learning principles and capable of delivering training sessions at all levels.
- Able to manage and prioritize a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Works well independently and collaborative within a team.
- Able to work with a variety of software, including Microsoft Office, Excel and Customer Relationship Management systems.
Details of the Role
Duration: Full time, Permanent
Travel Required: Yes
Location: Home Office (GTA or Hamilton/Niagara area)
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours/week
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes, Grade 9
How to Apply
Applicants are asked to forward their resume by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Health and Safety Consultant, Healthcare” in the subject line.
Public Services Health and Safety Association (PSHSA) is a transfer payment recipient of the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development and is responsible for the delivery of health and safety programs, services and solutions to Ontario’s public and broader public services. As one of four health and safety associations, operating under the Health & Safety Ontario banner, PSHSA is a trusted advisor to public sector organizations, large and small, seeking to reducing and eliminating work related injuries, occupational illnesses and fatalities.
Located across the province, our consulting teams provide prevention and safety advice, information and training based on leading practices and ongoing research. Together they serve more than 10,000 organizations and 1.7 million workers in the community and healthcare, municipal and public safety, education and culture sectors, aboriginal communities, and provincial government.
Working with system partners, employers and workers, PSHSA’s vision is driven by one simple but compelling idea: Enable a healthier and safer tomorrow for Ontario’s Public Sector Community. We have made great strides in Ontario, and each year there are fewer lost time injuries, and fatalities in the workplace – but we’re working to eliminate them completely.
Please visit our website at www.pshsa.ca for additional information.
PSHSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, PSHSA will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.