9. Adequate Risk Assessments
Amend the Ministry of Labour Policy and Procedure manual to ensure all risk assessments conducted by hospitals are adequate.
10. Promote the PSHSA Violence Aggression and Responsive Behaviour (VARB) Tools
Promote the use of all existing and future Public Service Health and Safety Association (PSHSA) Violence, Aggression and Responsive Behaviour (VARB) tools in all Ontario hospitals.
11. Additional Tools PSHSA
Ask the PSHSA, in collaboration with stakeholders, to develop additional tools to support: a) incident reporting and investigation (root cause analysis)
b) code white
c) patient transit (inside the facility) and transfer (outside of the facility)
d) work refusal procedures
12. Future Work to be Developed by the Leadership Table
Develop specific supplementary tools through the Leadership Table in the second phase and out-years of the project.
13. Increased Supports for Patients with Aggressive or Violence Behaviour
Provide more supports for patients with known aggressive or violent behaviour within health care facilities and in the community.
14. Patient Family and Staff Input into Triggers Behaviours and Interventions
Create and implement a standard provincial form/process to engage a patient and/or family/caregiver in developing a patient’s care plan that includes safety for workers.
15. College of Nurses of Ontario CNO Standards
Work with the College of Nurses of Ontario to provide more clarity related to nurses’ right to refuse to provide care to patients in hazardous situations, where the hazard is workplace violence.
16. Workplace Violence Curriculum in Educational Settings
Require post-secondary institutions to provide students with enhanced training in workplace violence and prevention before entering the workforce.
17. Minimum Security Training Standard for Hospitals
Develop and implement a consistent minimum provincial training standard for those performing the role or function of providing security in hospitals.