Health and Safety for Managers and Supervisors Blended Training Program
Length: 1 days in class + 3.5 hour e-Learning module
This blended training program combines self-paced eLearning (approximately 3.5 hours) of online instruction, activities and knowledge checks with 1 day (7.5 hours) of face-to-face instruction, group discussions and exercises. You must successfully complete the eLearning module before attending the classroom session.
Note: Registration for the classroom training portion closes 48 hours prior to session start date
This blended training program applies to the managers and supervisors in Ontario’s education; emergency services; government and; healthcare sectors. It is designed to provide a deeper understanding of occupational health and safety and how it contributes to supervisory responsibilities, impact workers and enhances the health and safety culture in the workplace. It covers what it means to be "competent" and develops the knowledge and skills to effectively perform the role as a supervisor as stated in OHS legislation and in best practices.
The classroom session builds on the eLearning and explores the concept of moving beyond compliance – from a supervisor to a health and safety leader and role model. It provides information and resources to aid in the development of critical thinking skills and better understanding of the supervisor’s role as it relates to the OHSA.
The combined eLearning and classroom sessions provide Managers and Supervisors the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes to fulfill their role as a critical link in moving beyond compliance to demonstrating leadership in safety, creating a positive safety culture and reduced injury experience in their organizations. It also provides the organization the opportunity to adapt a “best in class” mindset and improve their occupational health and safety system and achieve reduced injury experience. Strong leadership can lead to improved employee morale and more efficient operations.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Recognize OHS legislation with recall of key concepts covered in the eLearning module
- Improve knowledge of supervisory roles and responsibilities and how this links to your workers, employer and workplace
- Explore emergency preparedness and the key steps of an emergency response plan
- Apply RACE/PEMEP to real life workplace examples (case studies)
- Explore how to prevent and respond to incidents in the workplace
- Understand the importance of health and safety culture
- Identify leadership traits and practices that can contribute to making your workplace healthy and safe
- Learn about practices and resources to assist with moving beyond compliance
- Part 1: eLearning module
- Part 2: Classroom training
Note: PSHSA’s Health & Safety for Managers and Supervisors will help prepare supervisors to perform their health and safety duties competently. However, the employer is responsible to inform supervisors about the health and safety hazards that are specific to their workplace. Additional training in workplace-specific hazards and the regulations that apply to those hazards may be required.