Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSD) Prevention Campaign
Phase 1 – Awareness and Compliance Assistance: April 1, 2023, to March 31, 2024
Phase 2 – Focused Inspections: June 1, 2023, to March 31, 2024.
MLITSD inspectors will be visiting health and community care workplaces to conduct focused inspections related to prevention of MSD. Watch the free MSD Prevention Campaign recorded webinar to learn more.
Which Healthcare Workplaces is the MLITSD focused on?
- Group Homes
- Home health care
- Retirement homes
- Long term care homes
The Inspectors may focus and check for hazards related to:
- moving clients, such as performing client lifts or when repositioning clients in bed, toileting, bathing, showering clients and performing other client handling activities,
- responding to circumstances that arise such as client falls, fire alarms, evacuations,
- manually handling materials items and moving objects from one area to another, such as laundry,
- performing heavy housekeeping tasks such as moving furniture.
Related to hazards, inspectors will check:
- Measures and procedures in MSD prevention and client handling.
- Instruction of the workers in the measures and procedures for MSD prevention.
- Availability, suitability, and maintenance of equipment for client handling and manual material handling.
- Incident reporting system in place and employer follow up on incidents.
- Joint health and safety committee (JHSC) or health and safety representative (HSR), functioning and aware of MSD hazards and measures and procedures to control the hazards.
Employers in workplaces under the Health Care and Residential Facilities Regulation must establish written measures and procedures and training and educational programs in consultation with the joint health and safety committee (JHSC) or health and safety representative (HSR).